- Looking at the parking area beside a fire station it became apparent why so many accidents are happening around the country involving apparatus. If someone can't park a Ford Focus within the lines how can said person operate a ladder truck?
- Explaining his displeasure with my contention that ladder work is not being performed as it should be an emailer went to great lengths to explain why his own opinion was far superior. He then noted he had never been on a department that had a ladder truck. If only he had put that at the start of the email.
- Recounting a story to an old friend I told of a firefighter we called "Boo" who was in a basic firefighter class. Boo was hardly a Rhodes Scholar but made himself an intellectual legend in the class. The instructor told him to do a one man raise with a 24' extension ladder. Boo looked down and back up replying "You mean by myself?"
- Automakers are looking for 200 billion to help bailout their companies. Let's do it as long as the bailout includes 200 billion toward the fire service.
- For every fire station a Mayor closes five members of his or her staff should be laid off.
- I am off on a three day trip. Stay safe whatever you do.
Saturday, November 8, 2008
Irreverent thoughts compiled whilst watching a firefighter prepare a vent saw by kicking it: